music

Prince died from 'exceedingly high' amount of fentanyl, per toxicology report

A new toxicology report shows that Prince died from an overdose of Fentanyl, a strong opioid usually prescribed to cancer patients.


Emily Treadgold


Its almost been two years since Prince's death. He passed away on April 21st at Paisley Park in 2016.

 

An autopsy obtained by The Associated Press shows the "exceedingly high" amount of fentanyl in his body. According to the AP the concentration of fentanyl in his blood was 67.8 micrograms per liter. Fentanyl deaths have been documented in people with blood levels all the way from 3 to 58 micrograms per liter.

The amount in his blood is exceedingly high, even for somebody who is a chronic pain patient on fentanyl patches.

Dr. Lewis Nelson
Chairman of emergency medicine at Rutgers New Jersey Medical School

Dr. Charles McKay, president of the American College of Medical Toxicology, told The Guardian that the findings showed that Prince took the drug orally. There was a potentially lethal amount in his stomach, but it the fentanyl levels in his blood and liver suggested it circulated before he died.

 

There is not a determined level where fentanyl is deadly. If an individual takes the drug for a long time they can build up a tolerance but also one dose that could kill someone might be beneficial to someone else. Fentanyl is usually prescribed to cancer patients. Its been one of the most controversial drugs, and it also was cited as the drug that killed Lil Peep.

 

A year after Prince's death, search warrants released showed that the authorities found different kinds of pills in different containers.

SOU  RCES