music

Camila Cabello responds to Fifth Harmony's 'Unexpected' and 'Petty' MTV VMAs Diss

Camila Cabello is opening up about the infamous stunt Fifth Harmony pulled at last year's MTV Video Music Awards following her departure from the group.


Brittany King


Camila Cabello put on a brave face following her drama-filled departure from Fifth Harmony. The 20-year-old singer finally opened up about the infamous stunt her former group pulled at last year's MTV Video Music Awards where they showed five members in silhouette and then violently yanked an unidentified "fifth member" off of the elevated stage.

 

At the time, Cabello was watching the performance at home with her mother. "It definitely hurt my feelings. I wasn't expecting it, I wasn't prepared for it especially because at that point I'd moved on from it," she told The New York Times. "I was just like, 'What? Why?' "

I feel like the best way to come up with something new and different is just to be the you-est you possible. If you pull from all the different little parts of yourself, nobody can replicate that.

The incident immediately sent waves through social media, but two days later, Fifth Harmony appeared on Good Morning America and claimed that their performance was more about revealing the bands future as a foursome, not about Cabellos departure. "We wanted to show the world in an artistic way that, hey, the four of us are Fifth Harmony. We're stronger and better than we've ever been, Ally Brooke said.

 

But all that drama is in the past for Cabello, whose debut album, Camila, drops Friday. "I have to make space for the good stuff to happen in my life," she told NYT. "I don't like holding onto the past, especially when it's stuff that, in my opinion, is just petty."

1. 12. 18 #CamilaTOMORROW #CAMILA ? preorder link in bio

A post shared by camila (@camila_cabello) on

1. 12. 18 #CamilaTOMORROW #CAMILA ? preorder link in bio

A post shared by camila (@camila_cabello) on

SOU  RCES