After 20 years of sevice, AOL has announced AOL Instant Messenger, AIM, will be shutting down as of December 15, 2017. AIM launched in 1997 providing many users a platform for their first online social experience.
AOL has confirmed there is currently not a replacement product available for AIM. However, AOL, now called Oath, stated they are excited to continue to bring new iconic products and experiences.
We know there are so many loyal fans who have used AIM for decades; and we loved working and building the first chat app of its kind since 1997. Our focus will always be on providing the kind of innovative experiences consumers want. We’re more excited than ever to focus on building the next generation of iconic brands and life-changing products.
AOL will allow users until December 16th to save files and conversations. Below are steps from AOL’s website:
- Follow the steps below to learn how to manually save your images and files:
- Sign in to the AIM client.
- Open a chat with one of your buddies and scroll through your chat history with that buddy.
- Click the image or file you would like to save. It will open in a new browser tab or window.
- Right click on your image then select the save option.
- Note: For files, some browsers may prompt you or automatically download them.
The views expressed are the author's own and not necessarily shared by Explica, Inc. Opinions expressed by any contributor to Explica, Inc. are offered freely without direct compensation by any sponsor, advertiser, contributor, candidate, or employer.